If you’ve never used online dating before then you probably have many questions. From whether you make the first move to what to talk about, we have the dos and don’ts of online dating to help you get the most out of your experience.
⇒ Creating Your Online Profile
Your online profile is the starting point for your online dating experience. Make sure that you read these tips carefully:
- Make the most of your profile. First impressions count and your online profile is your first impression. Make sure that you fill in all of the relevant information about yourself including your likes, dislikes, hobbies and interests and what type of character you have.
- Choose a good picture that accurately depicts what you like. If you don’t have one get a friend to take one for you. The objective is to attract potential dates to get to know you better.
- Be kind to yourself and have the confidence to write nice things about yourself. If you aren’t the kind to blow your own trumpet perhaps get a friend or relative to help you.
- Use an unrealistic photo. While that airbrushed, studio shot makes you look a million dollars can you recreate that look on each date? Be realistic – you don’t want to turn up and risk seeing a look of disappointment.
- Lie about yourself. Adding things to your profile that you have never done to make yourself more interesting will only lead to problems in future. Honesty and integrity are qualities that many people look for so you need to demonstrate them.
⇒ Getting To Know Your Potential Dates
When getting to know someone online the awkward silences and nerves are removed and you are able to relax and take time to get to know them better before you plan a first date.
- Be yourself and try not to be nervous. The conversation should flow and not take too much efforts. Just talk as you would to your friends although maybe not as familiarly to begin with.
- Read their profile carefully. Reading their profile will give you lots of information that you can use to start a conversation.
- Ask lots of questions. Listening is key when it comes to getting to know people. Most people like to talk about themselves.
- Be nervous. There is no need. You are in control of the situation. You can be sat on the couch in your pyjamas watching your favourite TV programmes while you send messages back and forth.
- Talk about yourself too much. Give them an opportunity to get to know you but also talk about themselves.
- Get too familiar too soon. Remember while the conversation may be easy, you don’t know this person yet so you need to make sure that they are comfortable if you start sending flirty messages or probing too deep.
⇒ The First Date
After you have got to know each other, the next step is to agree on a first date. Make sure you follow some basics dos and don’ts for that all important first date.
- Be prepared and make sure that you leave plenty of time to get to the agreed meeting place, that you know where you are going and you have a plan for meeting them so you don’t need to walk into a crowded bar alone.
- Choose the right outfit that is relevant for the occasion. If you are going bowling you don’t want to turn up in your Sunday best.
- Tell someone where you are going and what time you expect to be home. This is especially important for the ladies.
- Be nervous. You have spent time getting to know this person online and you should have plenty to talk about.
- Be on your phone the whole time! Put it away. If you need to check it then use the rest room. The date is about getting to know the other person.
- Expect the other person to pay. Either offer to pay or pay half!
- Talk about yourself the whole time. Take a breath and give the other person a chance to speak.
Of course, the biggest DO when start dating online on this site or any other or when you actually decide to meet in person is to enjoy it. Relax, take your time and be yourself.