Podcasting is accessible and independent to everyone. Lots of people who podcast, records in a disturbing environment. In this type of situation, microphones play a vital part. But one of the most confusing questions is which model is the best microphone for podcasts.
The two important qualities of the best microphone are the ability to capture the voice without any interruption and affordability. After all, the sound quality is the biggest control of quality after the content is on a podcast.
But besides the above two factors, many other aspects can change your decision about buying a particular microphone. So it is important to know what are the different types of microphones available in the market and for what purpose they are used for? So to clear all your confusion, we have handpicked the list of top 5 podcasting microphones as below.
Product Review about the Best USB Microphones for Podcasting
Based on the design, performance, Directionality, features and bit depth, the top 5 USB microphones for podcasting are:
1. Rode NT USB
Rode NT USB is one of the most popular cardioid mic ideals for podcasting. The package includes a microphone, tripod stand, pop filter, ring mount, and a storage pouch. The mic offers clear voice recording and a wide signal to noise ratio.
This ratio determines the amount of disturbance in the background when you are recording the podcast. All the recordings need little equalizing and are full and rich in quality. Rode NT USB is compact compared to other podcasts microphones. The pop filter on the mic is sturdy and is very effective in suppressing the plosives.
- Sound Production of Studio Quality
- Compatible with every product from Apple, especially the iPod
- An in-built 3.5 mm headphone jack is present
- Ultra-low noise
- Direct mix control between the source and microphone input
- Can be connected with iPad
- bipolar output buffer offers JFET impedance conversion
- The address type is side facing
Does not contain adjustable gain
2. Blue Yeti USB Microphone
Outstanding quality and superior features are associated with this microphone. You can put the headphone directly into the mic. It has multi-pattern pickup and zero latency. There is not a single second delay in delivering the sound from the microphone to the computer. All the reviews by the users of this product swear by its spectacular sound production.
This USB microphone includes a condenser capsule and plug and play connection. Whether you are recording solo or in groups, this gadget is a must-have for all the podcasters. Blue Yeti is the most flexible microphone that also comes with a stand. So if you are searching for a long term solution for all your podcasting problems, then this is the perfect one for you.
- Sound can be recorded in multiple directions
- There is an in-built gain controlling headphone jack
- Due to zero latency, sounds are picked up without any delays
- There are mute and volume control buttons inside the mic
- 4polar patterns are present: stereo, omnidirectional, cardioid and bidirectional
- 1-year warranty on the device
- Unique and compact design
- 3 condenser capsules are present
- 4 color options of white, platinum, black and silver
- Can be installed in both Windows and Mac without any driver
- The metal body makes it heavy to carry around
- For mounting, additional support is required
3. Samson C01U Pro USB Studio Condenser Microphone
Samson has introduced its C01U Pro USB Studio Condenser with unbelievable specs and features. This 19 mm diaphragm cardioid microphone has an in-built jack for headphones, zero latency for monitoring the sound without delay, and premium quality sound. Flat and smooth frequency of 20 Hz to 20 kHz, resolution of 16 bit, peak LED indicator, and shockproof protection are some of the reasons for this microphone to be one of the most popular devices among the users.
This mic is compatible with almost every computer-based audio workstations and is ideal for recording music in Skype, FaceTime, and other VoIP applications. It can be powered through USB and iPad. The package box comes with a condenser microphone, swivel mount, mini tripod stand, and user manual. The stand and the swivel mount minimizes the desktop placement.
- Studio level sound quality
- Build for Heavy Duty
- Tripod and swivel mounts are included
- Pick Pattern of Hypercardioid
- Built with a heavy gauge mesh grill
- 19mm diaphragm
- Perfect for YouTube Videos, voiceovers, foley artists and ADR work
- LED indication
- Attuned with most recording apps and software
There is no physical power button present
4. Audio-Technica AT2020USB+
This microphone is designed for podcasts and voiceovers from the front in place of the back and the sides. All the controls on the body of the microphone allow you to mix music directly from the computer. An in-built headphone jack captures all sound with zero delays. It has a high-quality A/D converter, a 44.1/ 48 kHz sampling rate, a frequency response of 20 – 20,000 Hz and 3.5 mm TRS Stereo.
The package box contains threaded stands, an adapter, a soft protective pouch, tripod desk stand, and a 10 inch USB cable. The device has a backplate with fixed charge and permanently polarized condenser. Mix control helps you to blend the audio that is recorded previously with the microphone signal.
The microphone is compatible with all the latest operating systems. The extended and smooth frequency response is ideal for voiceover, home recording, podcasting, and field recording use.
- Condenser Device with USB output
- Headphone jack volume control
- High-frequency response
- Sample Rate of 44.1 kHz/48 kHz
- Ideal for digital recording
- A/d Conversion with 16 bit
- The polar pattern is cardioid
- Frequency Response is 20 – 20,000 Hz
It is a bit heavy and difficult to carry around.
5. Neewer (Blue) USB Microphone
The condenser microphone uses a cardioid pickup pattern with minimum background noise and isolating the main source of the sound along with plug and play option. This mic is perfect for instruments, voice, personal recordings, and podcasts. The adjustable scissor arm with mounting clamp is extremely sturdy and durable. The arms are foldable and portable.
The mounting clamp can be attached to anything like shelves, counters, tables, etc. The anti-wind foam ball-type cap protects against any type of disturbance or wind interference. The device is widely compatible Mac, Windows XP, 7,8, 10 and vista.
A USB cable, an arm stand and a shock mount also come with the microphone inside the box.
- The device can be used without installing a driver in Mac
- Low power consumption
- Strong output
- Absence of distortion
- The arm can extend up to 70 cms
- A USB cable is 2.5 mts that is long enough to go far from the main source of power
- Ball-type Foam cap is present for anti-wind protection
The sound quality is not very high in standards
Final Words on the USB Microphone for Podcasting
All the microphones mentioned here all something to offer by each of the models. They differ based on the frequency response, polar pattern, type of connector, address style and requirements of the system.
But our clear winner among the above 5 model is Blue Yeti due to its features and performance. If your budget is not a constraint, and you want high-quality audio output, then this is the one for you. But we would recommend Rode NT USB if you are looking for more functional advantages. However, Neewer NW 700 USB Mic is the best among the lot who have a little tight budget.
Well, thank you all to be a part of this writing. And, let us know in the below section if you are using any of the above microphones for podcasting. We hope we have provided you with a proper solution about which Podcasting microphone to choose from according to your needs. Happy shopping!